How do I know when a reboot is required?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 14:18:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:44:16 +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 23:36, Don wrote:
>> With MS Windows, it seems a reboot is required after nearly every
>> software update.

> In principle, the only update for which a reboot is needed is Linux (since
> it is the most common kernel of the GNU system), but even this may change
> in the future.

That would be good, it would certainly massively cut downtime on servers.

The only way I can think of implementing this would be to perform a kind
of quick suspend/resume, where the "resume" remaps to a new running
kernel, but surely all services and current tasks would need to be
restarted too.

-
K.