install more TTF fonts

John Li johnli at ahlt.net
Tue Jan 13 16:13:44 UTC 2004

> > Hello what must i do to install more ttf fonts?
> > I have copy the files to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ but
> i can not use the
> > fonts. What have i to do???

> mkdir ~/.fonts
> drop the fonts in that directory

I think this only works for the local user.

> As root,
> cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
> fc-cache .

My understanding is that this only works for the 'new' font system
(see Fedora release notes) but not the 'old' one.  I'm not clear
on the best way to add them to the 'old' system.  I outlined what
I personally did  in
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00738.html,
and asked for advice on whether this was the best way to do it
or not, but didn't receive any responses....any takers this time?

Thanks,
John