Enabling Journaling

Steve Hanson shanson at cruiskeen.com
Tue Jan 13 16:12:40 UTC 2004

Douglas C. Robinson wrote:
> I am attempting to enable journaling on my Fedora system.  I have seen
> in the "man mount" page that I must set the option in mount to
> "data=journal".  Where do I enter this switch?  I have placed the
> option in the /etc/fstab file in various places.  This generates many
> error messages at re-boot.  There is probably a simple solution but
> this eludes me.

If you are using a "generic" install of Fedora Core - that is,
if you didn't actually do something to
change to a non-ext3 file system, you're already using
journaling on an ext3 file system.

Journaling options are set in the /etc/fstab file, in the file
system options column.  If you really need to set a non-default
mode of journaling (like for some reason you want to use the
data=journal option rather than the default data=ordered) you'd
need to change the entry for that file system to be something
like this:

/dev/sdd1		/var/lib/imap/user	ext3	data=journal 1 3

That is, you'd probably end up replacing the defaults entry with
data=journal

But make sure you understand the implications of changing the
journaling option.