an up2date idea

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 17:06:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 20:07, Jim Cornette wrote:

> I'm speculating, but wouldn't that cause some sort of redirection
> madness? The redirect would try one site, get a slow connection, then do
> the same on another site.

Not necessarily.... but maybe my description was inaccurate/incomplete.
And perhaps "redirection" is an incorrect term.

My idea is to move the server selection process out of the client and
onto the network/server.

What if the default client in Fedora asked a server which server should
it use to get an update from? If a mirror is synching, it would not be
eligible even though the "ping time solution" appears good. As synching
completes, the mirrors are made eligible. This type of dynamic
availability is why I think server-selection should be provided by a
network application instead of a client in the FC system itself.

> I think that a client side program bit, which tests the speed of mirrors
> available with each category might be a good alternative. Say three
> selected sites for core, three for updates, etc. The client could ping
> the selected servers and choose the best performing selection and stay
> there until download and upgrade is completed.

Yes, I think we're talking about the same/similar thing, just different
implementations.