Interdependencies between Galeon and Mozilla: FC1 upgrade from RH9

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Tue Jan 13 17:20:01 UTC 2004

I've upgraded my wife's laptop (Dell Inspiron 1100, A22 BIOS) from RH9 to
FC1.  Since I was having aggrevations previously, I figured I might as well
have them with a distro that had more of a future...

On the up side, most everything now works (though I may still have to
recompile a kernel for a few niggling details).  On the downside, after the
upgrade Galeon (her browser of choice) would not start.  No error, just no
browser.

When I attempted to run up2date, I was shown that there were Mozilla updates
for the versions I had just installed from iso.  However, I got an error
that Galeon 1.2.8 required Mozilla, and gave a version # in the 35-range (I
didn't copy it down).  I in fact had Galeon 1.2.8 installed, so I'm not sure
why the dependencies IT had were being picked up by Mozilla.  Just to make
sure, I attempted to yum down Galeon (nothing found) or Mozilla (same
error).

Has anyone else run into this before?  This has not happened on my desktop,
running a new FC1 install, so it may be a problem with the upgrade.

 -Don