Switching from run level 5 to 3 hangs

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Jan 13 17:56:16 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-13 10:49, David Balazic whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>>From: 	Fritz Whittington[SMTP:f.whittington at att.net]
>>
>>On or about 2004-01-13 03:53, David Balazic whipped out a trusty #2
>>pencil and scribbled:

<snip>

>Are you sure ?
>There is a root shell on VT1 without you actually logging in there ( by
>entering the
>"root" username and the corresponding password ) ?
>I don't believe you ;-)
>Maybe you should tell exactly what you did before entering "telinit 3".
>>From boot on.

Well, of course!  :-[   From a fresh boot (to level 5), the first time
you go to 3 you get a login prompt, and have to login (doesn't matter
whether you start from Gnome or KDE).  Then when you issue the telinit
5, get back to say KDE, logout, login under Gnome, and do a telinit 3
again, you have never logged off of tty1, so naturally when you go back
there you have the prompt.

But, that oddity aside, the rest of the process I described seems to be
the "normal" and designed behavior to me.  I guess leaving root logged
in on tty1 is a side effect that seems a little iffy, but fits with the
way the system is expected to operate.

--
Fritz Whittington
I'm using MozTweak addon, and you? MozTweak: http://mozillapl.mozdev.org/