Wish list for Fedora Core 2

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Tue Jan 13 23:12:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 16:12, Bjorn Andersen wrote:
> But it is not that easey as i would have hoped. I dont want to write
> this menu on 100 systems (copy a default file and change the owner)

I guess that's a matter of perspective.  Changing the standard menus
seems rather trivial to me compared to managing 100 machines.

> I don't even want to bother, I have other things taking my time.

That's one way to look at it.  But, there's no need to manually install
software to 100 systems with Fedora Core.

If I had 100 machines on a network I would probably net-boot from a
single copy of the OS on a server.  DHCP and NIS (or LDAP) will handle
system configuration.  To add a new workstation: remove it from the
shipping container, connect the peripherals, network cable, and press
the power switch.  No configuration, installation, nor anything else.

Last month I made a single-CD desktop OS installer for Fedora Core 1.
The process took 16 hours and I had no prior knowledge of how to do
this.  Now I can install that OS on any machine simply by booting the CD
and walking away.  The installation process requires 2-5 minutes per
machine.  I spent 16 hours one weekend making all the customizations
instead of 1-4 hours per machine during each installation.  This custom
installation CD was created to install to hundreds of non-networked
workstations.

> About the Num Lock i have not time to compile the xnumlock program on
> 100 systems... So simple it is.

From my perspective it is no harder than installing it on 1 system.
Make one RPM for xnumlock which performs all the required changes.
That's a 5-10 minute job for someone who has taken the time to
understand how RPM works.  Once you have that RPM you can place it on
your custom installer CD.  (Or install it to your shared net-boot
system.)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/