Getting error running up2date: Not a gzipped file

Chuck Sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Wed Jan 14 00:50:55 UTC 2004

Yesterday evening I started getting an error running up2date. It has
been running okay, if a lot slow since I had not used a mirror. A few
days ago I reconfigured /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to use a mirror and
up2date was working pretty well considering it's over a dialup
connection. That afternoon I did the same thing at $WORK with good
results. I later tried to do an update at home and I consistently get
the error below with the default host used below or with either of two
mirrors I tried.

FWIW, the up2date GUI just quits without an error message.

Have I broken something (probably) or is there a problem on the servers?
If I've broken it does anybody have an idea where I start looking for a
fix? I can reinstall from scratch since this is a work in progress but
I'd like to know what's causing the problem...

Today I again tried at $WORK and at home. No change.

Chuck Sterling

[chuck at localhost chuck]$ su -
Password:
[root at localhost root]# up2date --nox -u -v

Fetching package list for channel: fedora-core-1...

Fetching
http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1/headers/header.info...

Fetching package list for channel: updates-released...

Fetching
http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1/headers/header.info...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: fedora-core-1...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: updates-released...

Fetching rpm headers...
There was some sort of I/O error: Not a gzipped file
[root at localhost root]#