Executables and md5 checksum.

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 15:48:26 UTC 2004

Piotr Goczal said:
> Hello,
>
> After last glibc update I've noticed (in fact tripwire noticed) that
> something has changed some executable files on my system e.x.:
[snip]
> and many others.
>
> I've checked md5sum of this files on other FC1 systems and I was
> shocked! At EVERY system this files have different md5sum, but rpm -v
> rpm_package doesn't report any changes in MD5! Not executable files have
> the same sum.
> I think it's connected with somethink prelink but I'm not 100% sure.
> Could someone explain me it?

Yes it is prelink.  And since a lot of binaries link to glibc, a lot of
binaries got re-prelinked (try saying that fast).

RPM takes prelinking into account when verifying packages.  Maybe you can
set tripwire up to use RPM?  Or I believe someone else pointed out a way
of getting prelink to give you consistent md5sums.

--
William Hooper