fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #782 - 27 msgs

John M. Pantone jpantone at objectech.com
Wed Jan 14 17:24:41 UTC 2004

>>Hello,
>>I would like to know if there is a way to use the suspend, sleep, etc...
>
> (in fact the >>>>
>
>>powermanagement function) with an acpi laptop?
>

> I got acpid to work by doing the following:
>
> 1. Turn off apmd and enable acpid using redhat-config-services.  If you have
> an ACPI machine, you don't have an APM machine.  I don't know why both are
> enabled by the default installation.
>
> 2. For test purposes, set up a battery monitor.  On the GNOME desktop, I
> used battstat-applet; I don't use KDE so I can't help you there.  When
> things are broken, it will give you no useful information at all.
>
> 3. Add the following code to /etc/rc.local:
> ----snip----
> if [ -d /proc/acpi ]; then
> 	for module in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/acpi/*
>
> 		do
> 		insmod $module
> 		done
> fi
> ----snip-----
>
> This script will load modules for the various ACPI functions.  I located
> this in the fedora-list archives, and cleaned it up to suit my style. The
> $(uname -r) part extracts the kernel version so that this continues to work
> when you change kernels.
>
> 4. Reboot the system and add
>
> 	acpi=on
>
> as one of your boot parameters.  Make this permanent by editing
> /etc/grub.conf.
>
> Once I did these things, I discovered the following:
>
> The battstat-applet properly displayed the battery level and indicated when
> I was on AC power.
>
> The system would turn completely off when I halted, rather than simply
> halting the OS and leaving the computer on.
>
> I have seen postings that say that suspend does not work under FC1.  I've
> also not managed to respond to events from the power button, lid, etc;
> because I don't know how to specify events for acpid.  The man page for
> acpid explains which files configure it, but not precisely what you can
> configure.  I did notice that the screen would turn off after a time, but I
> don't know what exactly made that happen.
>
> What this did do for me is to give me status on the battery, the ability to
> cleanly shut down the system, and the confidence that I wasn't likely to
> melt my processor.  I hope this will get it going for you, so you can figure
> out how to go farther.
>
> Good luck.  I hope this helps.  Erik

I have had good luck with FC1 and ACPI on my Dell Inspron 600M - I can
"put it to sleep" thus (must run with root privs.):

	#!/bin/bash
         # shut down screen (activate screensaver)
         xscreensaver-command -activate
         sleep 2
         echo 1 >/proc/acpi/sleep

	# machine is now sleeping, pressing power button
	# will "wake it up"

         # next line gets the mouse back from X never-never-land
         /sbin/service gpm restart
         echo back from sleeping...

--
John Pantone