Samba problems with file xcopy

dalen dalen at czexan.net
Wed Jan 14 19:44:32 UTC 2004

M.Hockings wrote:

> I'm trying to do some quick backups from a Win2K laptop to a Fedora Core
> 1 desktop but it ain't working.  The backups are just a bunch of
> xcopy's. Most of them run fine but two fail and I don't understand why.
> It appears that xcopy is attempting to create directories in both
> cases.  When I run the backup targeting a Win98 desktop there is no
> problem.  Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
>
> d:\>xcopy /S /Z /V /Q /Y /I /H /R /D /EXCLUDE:d:\bat\bu2x.exclude
> d:\ApplicationData\*  \\fc1\backups\ApplicationData\
> Access denied Unable to create directory -
> \\fc1\backups\ApplicationData\nof7\Templates\MXTemplates
> 0 File(s) copied
>
> d:\>xcopy /S /Z /V /Q /Y /I /H /R /D "D:\Program Files\NetObjects Fusion
> 7\*"  \\fc1\backups\ApplicationData\programfiles\nof7
> Access denied Unable to create directory -
> \\fc1\backups\ApplicationData\programfiles\nof7\Components\ApollonComponents

Mike,
	The access denied error makes me think of permission issues.  Try (from
the laptop)
mkdir \\fc1\backups\ApplicationData\nof7\Templates\MXTemplates
If this fails, you need to adjust smb.conf or directory permissions on fc1.

Is MXTemplates the actual directory name or just the first part as in is
"MXTemplates Folder yadda yadda"?  It could be a problem with spaces.

If it is not either of these, you might try smbtar.  See man smbtar fro
details.

Thanks,

Dale