Upgrade

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 15 00:57:36 UTC 2004

On January 14, 2004 02:42 pm, Michael Thompson wrote:
> Hi Fedora-list,
>
>   I am currently using Redhat 9, and when April 30th comes round, I am
>   looking to change distos.
>
>   What I am asking therefore is: Can I upgrade RH9 to Fedora, and it
>   keeps all the settings? Mainly the Mailserver, FTP, web server etc?

Related to this, I heard from someone on the local (toronto) linux users
mailing list that one can upgrade from an earlier redhat (i.e. 7.0 to 9)
to fedora by the following procedure:

First, run up2date on redhat 7, 8, or 9 to make it up2date.
Then get fedora-release-1-3.rpm from ftp.redhat.com.
Then run
rpm -Uvh fedora-release-1-3.rpm
yum -y update

and this will upgrade your system (slowly, of course).  How does
this work?  Does fedora-release-1-3.rpm contain yum?  I don't have
yum, so would I have to doenload it seperately.

Thanks