Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 15 00:57:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:32:37PM -0500, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On January 12, 2004 17:40, Jeffrey Stephens wrote:
> >   Does anyone know why the Fedora distribution does not include the
> > "kpackage" application?
> That's because kpackage duplicated some functionality already
> present in the Red Hat package management application.
> IMHO, it is not a good reason to remove it and it should be brought
> back. It works, and does not break anything.

Goodness I want to disagree.  I suspect if my favorite tool was
excluded I would be grumpy.

I constantly marvel at how much STUFF is included in Redhat-FC1.

Today I have 1336 packages loaded ( rpm -qa | wc) on this FC1 box.
These seem to bring along a boat load of files. Some 271282 by my
count ( rpm -qa --filesbypkg | wc ).

OK I have big enough disks that I do not have to be selective yet.
But my brain hurts when I think about the pile.

Thus, I am pleased that RH is of a mind to not include packages with
duplicate functionality.

In my heart, Unix is small and simple.  Linux as it is currently
packaged hides this fact.  It might be nice if there was a single
half full base install CDROM.  All the other stuff would be on
layer disks that users could install after the base is loaded.

I understand why.  Each additional packages creates dependencies
that need to be installed in the system.  Too quickly the dependencies
build an all inclusive web, often involving circular dependencies.
One easy resolution to this pile of stuff problem is to toss
lots and lots of stuff into the release.

The right answer is to design a tree and keep the tangles out of it.
This is hard to do.

So tell me -- who knows where "xod" can be found as source or an RPM.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net