Export

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 15 02:19:43 UTC 2004

> I believe you will find that sudo works seamlessly with the version of
> consolehelper in Fedora Core 1.

In what way? My example -was- on Fedora Core 1.

The problem is that consolehelper tries to use a graphical widget if
possible, which fails from inside a sudo on a remote system that's
forwarding it's X because root doesn't have the right xauth cookies.

It seems like they now expect these apps to be run in one of two ways:
1) As root, directly calling the /sbin version
2) As a normal user who knows the root password, calling consolehelper

Using sudo in the way we've become accustomed leads to root calling the
/usr/bin version (since sudo creates an environment with the user's
path, but root's authority), which behaves unexpectedly.

Making sure that /sbin and /usr/sbin are -before- /bin and /usr/bin in
the path of sudo-users would avoid this, but an earlier poster suggested
that other things want that order to be reversed. Also, I could just
start typing the absolute paths all the time, but that's a lot of wasted
keystrokes that could be put to better use pestering this list. ;)