Earthlink USB camera (xirlink)

Mick Mearns off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 07:16:22 UTC 2004

--- Alexandre <surak at surak.eti.br> wrote:
> Em Ter, 2004-01-13 às 05:46, Mick Mearns escreveu:
>
> (...)
> >   Thank you for your reply.
> > I only use com1 for an external modem.
> > Com2 is disabled in the bios.
>
> > I forgot about /var/log/messages.
> > This is what I get upon power up/power down of the camera:
> >
> > Jan 12 23:33:43 athlon kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:04.2-2,
> > assigned address 3
> > Jan 12 23:33:43 athlon kernel: ibmcam.c: IBM PC Camera USB camera
> found
> > (model 2, rev. 0x030a)
> > Jan 12 23:33:43 athlon kernel: usbvideo.c: ibmcam on /dev/video0:
> > canvas=352x240 videosize=352x240
> (...)
>
> This camera is not meant for use with gtkam, as it says is a
> video4linux
> device. Is this a webcam? Have you tried with xawtv or gnomemeeting?

Hello;
  The camera is a 640x480 2MB digital camera, not a webcam.
Its a few years old and has been basically sitting in a drawer.

Earthlink gave them away free for signing up, at the time it was a good
deal. We just used a regular ppp connection, not the earthlink crap.

As they were free and plentifull I was hoping that by now someone would
have got it to work.

I decided to try it on FC1 as USB is improved.
I will try xawtv and gnomemeeting.

Thanks.

Mick M.

=====
The glass is exactly twice as large as it needs to be.