Export

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 15 19:16:50 UTC 2004

Bevan C. Bennett said:
> William Hooper wrote:
>> Now that was a machine I SSH'ed into with X-Forwarding,
>> doesn't have X installed locally.  So I tried on my laptop (with X):
>
> Do both systems have X installed? It looks like either one -not- having
> X will suppress consolehelper's graphical form. If you just run
> /usr/bin/up2date as yourself, what happens then (I get a popup window)?

In the SSH case, no.  Only one has X installed.  In the second case
(below) I'm doing it on a local machine with X.  Using SSH I get a text
prompt, GUI on local.  I'll see what I can do about sneaking a laptop out
of work tonight, that way I can try it on two machines w/X.

>> [whooper at butters whooper]$ sudo up2date
>> <forward, forward, checking, no updates, blah blah>
>> [whooper at butters whooper]$
>
> That looks pretty reasonable.
> [bevan at wallace ~]> sudo /usr/bin/up2date
> Password:
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>
>> Maybe you have old versions of config files left over?
>
> These were all clean installs, although I do go back and replace some
> config files to make the system play properly in the environment.
> The relevant-ish are:
> /etc/nsswitch.conf
> /etc/ldap.conf
> /etc/pam.d/system-auth
> /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> It's got my curiosity now... I want to know why our systems seemingly
> behave differently.

If I had to guess I would say somethin gin system-auth or authconfig, but
I'm not sure.  Again, when I get home I will check these files out and see
if I can see anything about them.

--
William Hooper