Freshmeat.net: Linux NTFS 1.8.2

Darrell Esau Darrell.Esau at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 15 22:35:30 UTC 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 12:02 pm, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:

> Not true. All the maintained write code is stable over a year: resize,
> clone, version 2 kernel driver. We didn't get any corruption reports and
> I can say they are massively used.

Massively used?

>From the FAQ: (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2)

=================================
3.2 Can the Driver write to an NTFS volume, too?
Not really <...>
<...>
The new driver, introduced in 2.5.11, has some write code, but it's very
limited. The driver can overwrite existing files, but it cannot change the
length, add new or delete existing files.

Adding write support will take a *long time*.

I'm not sure how "massively used" the write feature is on a file system driver
which can only overwrite existing files (without changing the length)."

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to start a flame war -- I think this is a
great project -- I use the driver for reading of NTFS volumes, but it's very
misleading to claim that this driver has any useful write functions.

-d