Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Thu Jan 15 23:27:48 UTC 2004

On Jan 15, 2004 at 11:30, Jeffrey Stephens in a soothing rage wrote:

[...]
>    Kpackage provides quite a bit of "additional" (and I would argue
>"critical") functionality that is not provided by Redhat's PMS.  In addition,
>the very thing you are railing against, i.e., "bring along a boatload of
>files", is a problem that Kpackage is particularly well designed to solve.
>IMO it is the best available utility for identifying, locating, and removing
>unwanted/unneeded packages.
>
>   Almost the first thing I do after installing a new distro is to fire up
>Kpackage, scroll through the list of installed packages, highlight those I
>don't want, and remove them.  Of course Kpackage uses RPM to check
>dependencies so that you don't inadvertently screw things up.   This is why I
>consider Kpackage indispensible.
Great, so here is what I suggest. Get the kdeadmin source from kde.org
and patch it so that it works with the version of rpm that Fedora
uses. Compile and make sure it works. Next grab the kdeadmin srpm that
was used to build the kdeadmin rpm and do a diff against that. Add
that diff to the srpm while making changes to the various scripts in
the srpm. Rebuild and test. If it works, offer it up for ppl to use.
I am sure this will be something that part of the community would love
to use.

N.Emile...
A kind of Batman of contemporary letters.
		-- Philip Larkin on Anthony Burgess
 18:22:26  up 42 days, 23:09,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00