Yum problem

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Jan 16 03:15:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:56:54 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > > Do you really want to use testing package by Fedora Extras?
> >
> > There's nothing wrong with that. The major difference between "stable"
> > and "testing" is the name of the repositories. ;)
>
> I did not say that it is wrong, but I asked whether he really wants to
> use packages out of the testing branch.

Simply assume he has enabled those repositories because they carry stuff
which he wants. Since extra packages don't upgrade core packages, the risk
is low.

> As our discussion about the
> qtparted package from testing showed me, that those package might be no
> recommend.

Because you have misunderstood it. Qtparted is in "testing", because the
code is "under development" (like many other Open Source Software
programs) and the software is a new entry in the repository. And although
it is based on libparted from "core", it would be irresponsible to put it
into "stable" and suggest that it is safe to use for all users who might
want a graphical partitioning tool. One cannot guarantee that.

Would you recommend fdisk just because it is in "core"? It can create
partition tables which are incompatible with other OSs and partitioning
tools. GNU parted is in "core", too, but causes problems for some users,
too, or fails to resize partitions. Or did you recommend cfdisk when it
still was in "core" before it was dropped as a "pile of junk"?  A core
distribution must include some kind of partitioning tool. An Extras
repository can offer alternatives which may or may not work better.

> At least if the user is not experienced and just copied his
> yum.conf and does not know what all implies.

It says "Unstable". I would not assume that a user does not understand
what that might imply.

> > Also not a problem, considering how few packages are in "unstable".
>
> Same as above. Additional, I normally do not like to get
> testing/unstable packages on my working system. And if I decide to get
> one of these packages I am very selective and do not take it via a
> normal update run but install it by hand.

Maybe he does the same? "yum -y install k3b tripwire", for instance,
to pick new software and later "yum update" (note that it needs
confirmation by default) to see what updates are available.