frozen-bubble

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Jan 16 03:48:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:59:16 -0500, Paul Norton wrote:

> > > Could you please tell me where on the freshrpms.net site you
> > > found The Gimp. I looked but my failing eyes could not find
> > > it.
> >
> > ftp://freshrpms.net
> >
> > I haven't evaluated them, and hence I don't recommend them. I just
> > remember that several repositories offered gimp beta packages which
> > upgraded the stable versions included with Fedora Core or Red Hat Linux.
> >
> > --
> >

> It does not upgrade 1.2 ... it installs 1.3 separately (since its beta)

It's named "gimp-2.0.0" and then upgrades "gimp-1.2" unless you install it
manually with "rpm -ivh". Since none of its files conflict with gimp 1.2,
it can coexist. On the contrary, fedora.us has named the gimp 1.3
development branch "gimp2-1.3", so tools like yum see both the stable
and the development package and don't upgrade the stable one with the
development version.