cyrus under Fedora

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Jan 16 06:52:51 UTC 2004

> James Holobetz wrote:
>> I am having numerous problems trying to get cyrus to run on
>> Fedora...anybody got any suggestions; First i tried installing the
>> latest DB4 from sleepycat but it would compile against it but link
>> against the old one no matter how I tried to redirect the include and
>> lib files. then i tried letting it just find the one that is on FC1
>> which is good enough (db4-4.1.25.-14) everything compiles and runs but
>> when i try to connect it produces an error in  the log that DBERROR db4:
>> Berkeley DB library configured to support only DB_PRIVATE
>> environments...this is on the redhat bugfix list as an error on non nptl
>> kernels-- but i am using the latest updated kernel. lil help plz
> I have to chime in with the others on this - Even if you're going to
> make some heavy modifications to how you build Cyrus, it's a huge help
> to start out with Simon's source RPMs and then modify them. Cyrus is a
> painful package to get running properly, but it really does the job once
> you're there.

BTW. i didn't had to fiddle around for the DB4-database with Simon Matters
RPM's - just make sure, the DB4-Devel-package is installed before doing
rpmbuild --rebuild. Mine works excellent and stable... perhaps after the
recompile your DB4 is no longer good for cyrus.

Perhaps you rpm -e all your DB4-packages and reinstall them again (don't
forget the db4-devel-package) and rebuild your cyrus-packages. If this
doesn't work and you get a error message like:

 May 15 13:51:25 co ctl_cyrusdb[10520]: DBERROR: dbenv- >open
'/var/lib/imap/db' failed: Function not implemented

...try the bugfix also by simon matter on his homepage at
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/db4_for_fc-1/ and do as
described at his homepage with "Just install the original source rpm
db4-4.x.x-x.src.rpm, patch the db4.spec file and do a rpmbuild -bb
db4.spec."

> Just curious - how big of a user base are you supporting with this?
> Linux can be a little difficult to tweak for performance if you're
> shipping a lot of email in.  If you have some problems let me know - I
> support a pretty big email environment in Cyrus on Linux.
HTH
Roger