fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #800 - 30 msgs

fedora fedora at geeknet.nl
Fri Jan 16 09:59:56 UTC 2004

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:02:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Boot Fedora as 2nd OS
From: "David Jackson" <trashcan at mustardandrelish.com>
To: fedora-list at redhat.com

> On a PC with a 20GB partition hda1 running RH9, I mounted
> fedoar core 1 on hda2, another 20GB partition.
>
> After the installation, the PC reboots, but get stuck at the GRUB> prompt.
Your probley need to reconfig GRUB, as the FC install may have overroot
the existing MBR.

Just a guess
David

++++++

No hard feelings but RTFM...
http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2003-February/msg03121.html

amongst others...

Simple..

make your /boot under 1024 cylinders ( this usually translates to being a
partition in the first 8 GB of a drive... so your massive 20 GB partition is
a boo boo) on the drive. Do not install grub on the MBR but on the first
sector of your new partition (/boot) and then
dd if=/dev/hdX of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
Move that file onto your c:\ drive and edit boot.ini, adding the following
line:

c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"but you could have found that had you
RTFM....http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.html
Again, no hard feelings but seriously dudes, quite the Newb act, you know
where to find it..