Consolehelper and sudo (was Re: Export)

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Jan 16 17:27:49 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> William Hooper said:
>
>>So... I don't know what we're chasing.  Using sudo on xterm works from the
>>SSH connection.  Using sudo and consolehelper works locally.  I would
>>suggest filing a bug against userhelper.
> Ack.  I mean I suggest filing a bug against sudo, since su works.

But sudo's doing nothing wrong. It's consolehelper's fault for trying to
send X crap around even when you're already root, and getting in the way
of how administrators used to run these tools (by having /sbin later in
their PATH).

su works because you end up with root's environment variables (and
path), thus avoiding consolehelper entirely.

sudo has problems because you still have your own path, and thus run
into the consolehelper junk.

My workaround has been to have administrators put /sbin and /usr/sbin
-first- in their personal paths, avoiding consolehelper and the problem.