kernel-module-nvidia-driver for kernel-2.2.22-1.2149.nptl?

bdunne bdunne at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 16 18:03:42 UTC 2004

>I keep checking http://www2.educ.umu.se/~peter/nvidia/ for the new
>kernel-module-nvidia-drivers but there has been not change there since
>kernel-module-nvidia-driver-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl so as a result I am still
>using the 2129 kernel. I did try installing kernel-2.2.22-1.2140.nptl
>but could not start X with that kernel, I am assuming because I have the
>wrong kernel-module-nvidia-drivers installed. Does anyone know anything
>about present and future updates from
>http://www2.educ.umu.se/~peter/nvidia/ ?

The README file on the site says they will be moving to the rpm.livna.org
repository soon. Keep an eye out over there. Until then, you can use the
source rpm in the SRPMS directory to "roll your own".

1) install the kernel-source package for the new kernel (install it with 'rpm
-ivh' to avoid removing the current kernel-source. 2) download the nvidia
kernel module srpm. 3) build a new rpm with 'rpmbuild --rebuild --define
"kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl" --target <ARCH>
nvidia-driver-1.0.4496-0.fdr.10.1.src.rpm' where <ARCH> is your processor
architecture: i386, i586, i686, athlon, etc..
4) you'll now have an rpm in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/<ARCH> that you can use to
install the updated nvidia kernel module when you update the kernel. Actually,
there will be three rpms there. However, you don't need to install the
debug-info rpm and you should already have nvidia-glx installed. Also, if you
use 'rpm -ivh' instead of 'rpm -Uvh', you won't overwrite the old nvidia
kernel module.

Bryan C Dunne
E-Mail: bdunne at uiuc.edu
WWW: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~bdunne/

"What fun is it being 'cool' if you can't wear a sombrero?"