kernel-module-nvidia-driver for kernel-2.2.22-1.2149.nptl?

HD heterodox at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 16 19:09:30 UTC 2004

bdunne wrote:
>> I keep checking http://www2.educ.umu.se/~peter/nvidia/ for the new
>> kernel-module-nvidia-drivers but there has been not change there
>> since kernel-module-nvidia-driver-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl so as a result
>> I am still using the 2129 kernel. I did try installing
>> kernel-2.2.22-1.2140.nptl but could not start X with that kernel, I
>> am assuming because I have the wrong kernel-module-nvidia-drivers
>> installed. Does anyone know anything about present and future
>> updates from http://www2.educ.umu.se/~peter/nvidia/ ?
>

> The README file on the site says they will be moving to the
> rpm.livna.org repository soon. Keep an eye out over there.

I've been poking around over there too.... but didn't see anything yet :)

 >Until then, you can use the
> source rpm in the SRPMS directory to "roll your own".
>
> 1) install the kernel-source package for the new kernel (install it
> with 'rpm -ivh' to avoid removing the current kernel-source. 2)
> download the nvidia kernel module srpm. 3) build a new rpm with
> 'rpmbuild --rebuild --define "kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl" --target
> <ARCH> nvidia-driver-1.0.4496-0.fdr.10.1.src.rpm' where <ARCH> is
> your processor architecture: i386, i586, i686, athlon, etc.. 4)
> you'll now have an rpm in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/<ARCH> that you can
> use to install the updated nvidia kernel module when you update the
> kernel. Actually, there will be three rpms there. However, you don't
> need to install the debug-info rpm and you should already have
> nvidia-glx installed. Also, if you use 'rpm -ivh' instead of 'rpm
> -Uvh', you won't overwrite the old nvidia kernel module.

Okay thanks, I'll give it a go.  But I have a question about your last
statement.... Does that mean it I use "rpm -ivh" when installing the new
nvidia kernel module that the old one will still work with the old
kernel if I need to boot into the old kernel?

--
HD

Tipping my hat to Fedora.