BadName (named color or font does not exist)

Sy Beamont sbeam at attbi.com
Fri Jan 16 19:25:47 UTC 2004

Looks like I hosed the fontpath, or something, when installing plugins
for mozilla. Installed Flash and the JRE from Sun, and mplayer, and the
msttcorefonts rpm. I went to a site with a java applet _before_
restarting mozilla (by mistake) and it hung - I killed it and on
restart, all I get is

$ mozilla --sync
The program 'mozilla-bin' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
  (Details: serial 681 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)

Now, other apps besides mozilla give similar errors on startup, but not
as verbose. I switch profiles and users and it makes no diff,
everything is coming up BadName. I am playing with strace now but can't
find the exact open() that is causing this problem. /etc/fonts
directory has not been touched, but I did restart xfs. Also removed all
the rpms installed today, and removed all fonts.cache-1 files.

# /usr/sbin/chkfontpath --list
\Current directories in font path:
1: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
2: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled
3: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled
4: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
5: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
6: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
7: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
8: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
9: /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1
10: /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript
11: /usr/share/fonts/bitmap-fonts
12: /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera
13:
14: /usr/lib/openoffice/share/fonts/truetype

So can anyone tell me what I broke? pleease?