Upgrade

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 17 08:41:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:42:51PM +0000, Michael Thompson wrote:
> From: Michael Thompson <mike at thompsonmike.co.uk>
>   I am currently using Redhat 9, and when April 30th comes round, I am
>   looking to change distos.
>
>   What I am asking therefore is: Can I upgrade RH9 to Fedora, and it
>   keeps all the settings? Mainly the Mailserver, FTP, web server etc?

The upgrades (all three) were painless for me BUT when you ask a
question about an outcome and "all the settings" you will never get a
clean answer.

My web server is the same.  But I have no magic php/ Java/ MySQL/ CGI/
etc stuff and only bring up up for friends and family.

Mail worked... but my mail config is SIMPLE and
I pre tested it on another FC1 box first.

FTP is likely different (there are choices for ftp) but setting up
simple FTP stuff is not a big bother.

April is a ways away.  Start building a list of "all the settings"
and find a cast off old box to test on.  Shop for a sale on a new
disk. You may be able to keep your RH9 disk as a fall back and upgrade
on a new disk.  I saw a 120GB disk for $58. after rebate today.

Something ALWAYS breaks....
Most things get fixed quickly....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l