Gnome desktop icons

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sat Jan 17 09:00:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 17:40, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Gnone has put icons on my desktop for various mounted partitions.
> How do I control what Gnome puts on my desktop?

Your /etc/fstab most likely has the user or owner options specified for
those filesystems.  If users are allowed to mount/umount then they
obviously need a way to do so and thus the desktop items are created.
To remove the desktop and disks submenu items remove the user or owner
options.

Also related to controlling what GNOME displays:  Nautilus (file manager
and desktop) will hide files, per folder, listed in a .hidden file.  You
can still see the files through file selection dialogs.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/