FC1 on the enterprise?

Res res at ausics.net
Sat Jan 17 09:36:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Andre Costa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will probably be assigned the task of installing and configuring Linux
> on a mail server that handles a couple of thousands email accounts
> (close to 100,000). I had used RH Linux on production servers in the
> past, and have been using FC1 on my desktop ever since it came out.
>
> I can't see no reason why I would not use it for this assignment either,
> but if folks on this list could share some experiences (not necessarily
> related to mail server installations, but any FC1 enterprise use), I
> would be most grateful.

I wouldnt use it in a samba file server for win$hit boxes, especially if
you have a lot of them, we ran dual test, and the 7.3 boxes kicked fedora
all over the place for speed, moved them to rh9 still going fine, fedora
was laggy slow horrid, when RH cease support for 9, and we get sick of
deps issues when we manually compile updates on kernels etc, we
are moving to slackware, RH lost us the moment they went teh fedora way,
so many things just dont stand up to the known RedHat standard, the fedora
mail server MX has been rebooted twice as well in a week, the (RH9 boxes
keep on keeping on without glitch)

Oh and fedoras kbdrate setting is BS, but i could rant for anotehr 2 hours
on what I find wrong compared to how the RH we knew was...it just doesnt
match up anymore....

Im almost dismayed enough to use slackware desktops, my personal desktop
went to fedora as well from 7.3,  the WORST thing i could have ever done.
the upgrade f#$ked up, unlike RH upgrades, countless machines from 7.3 to
9 without a glitch, to fedora destroyed everything (yes backups are worth
it <G>)

--
Regards,
Res