Windows Behavior - ALT + Number

Florian Sievert FlorianSievert at Phobeus.de
Sat Jan 17 19:39:02 UTC 2004

Hi,

>>I am programming since years under Windows and (please don't ask) I
>>teached myself to don't use the normal keys for "{[]}". Instead I was
>>

>I don't have a direct answer for you (I am also interested in the answer
>actually).  But since the days of the Commodore PET that I started on, I have
>trained myself to the US keyboard, despite the fact I am in the UK and have a
>differently marked keyboard accordingly (it wants to use the pound currency
>sign on shift-4 instead of $.... I'm British: no Strings/EnvVars please).
>For every machine that I use, I tell it to use the US layout.  In this way I
>am sure I will have all the important characters for the lingua franca.

In fact your problem even sounds more difficult than mine, because
basically I can reach every sign on the keyboard (and the euro currenvy
sign is on a complete diffrent key), but I personally think it is easier
to write the some characters over the num block. My knowledge about
linux is to less to get an good "attack point" for this issue. I thought
about that there must be some point in the system to map keys. For
example, for rebooting using STRG+ALT+DEL. I thought about to add here
something like "if user press ALT+91, write an [ on the screen". But I
guess even if I would succed, it only would working in the console
itself, possibly not in most other text programs and also not on the x
server. But I am still hoping someone has an ultimate solution for this
issue ;)

thx,
Florian