rebuild .src.rpm from .rpm

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 00:09:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:29:26 +1000, Matt wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm learning the ins and outs of package building, and have a query the
> man page doesn't seem to answer. I have downloaded an .rpm since there
> was no .src.rpm provided. I would like to rebuild for my architecture.

First get fedora-rpmdevtools. If there is no source RPM for the package,
then try to find a source tarball. Read up on RPM building and (using
rpmdevtools) create your own source RPM. You'll end up with both the
package you want, and having learned by example about RPM.

fedora-rpmdevtools is in fedora.us stable, and documentation for rpm and
rpmbuild is in their respective man files. Look at the RPM docs in:

ls /usr/share/doc/rpm-`rpm -q --qf "%{VERSION}\n" rpm`

And online resources which includes:

www.rpm.org
www.fedora.us/tempspecs/
www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy

Although you may not decide to submit the finished package to Fedora, the
latter link contains a few instructive pointers to package building in
general.

If you're in a hurry, you could simply try contacting the package
maintainer "rpm -q --changelog <package> | head" and appeal to him for a
copy of his source RPM.

> Thus, I would like to know if there's a way to generate a .src.rpm from
> a .rpm package?

No.

-
K.