update issues

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jan 19 02:33:33 UTC 2004

Richard Welty wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:26:52 +1000 Michael Kearey <mutk at iprimus.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I have been using yum over up2date lately. It justs seems better to
>>me...(Read the FAQ some more, you will find out how to settup yum there)
>

> i'm trying yum right now, it seems ok. two things:
>
> 1) i haven't yet found a FAQ entry on yum, what FAQ should i be looking
> at. the FAQ on the redhat.com fedora site is pretty slim. if it's in the faq
> on the fedora.us site, i've not found it yet.
Here it is http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#FedoraYumRepos - the same site
that hosts the GPG signature solution.

> 2) how does yum handle postgresql updates? updating postgresql
> on major releases (say, 7.3->7.4) is a manual process, i don't want
> anything automated breaking DB installations in the early hours of
> the morning. is there a way to tell it not to update certain software?

I would expect the postgreSQL packagers to be completely aware of
major version upgrades and the related cautions. I don't know exactly
how they would handle it, but I am sure it won't be a problem.

'man yum.conf' tells you how to exclude packages from yum update anyway:

" _exclude_
List  of  packages  to  exclude  from  updates or installs. This
should be a space separated list.  Filename globs *,?,., etc are
allowed. "

You can do similar things with up2date.

Cheers,
Michael