Startup Configuration Cron Job [maybe?] and Ascii Art?

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Mon Jan 19 13:04:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 23:44, John Sampson wrote:

> As i have edited /etc/innittab/ to make 3 the default run level, is it
> possible to then have a command run on login to a CLI - ie startx - just

(Sorry about answering your post in 2 replies)

Place the command in your "~/.bash_profile" or "~/.bash_login" file. You
will need to put some logic around the invocation to check `tty` so you
don't go starting X whenever a new shell starts. Eg. You may wish only
to run startx if your tty is /dev/tty1 (or whatever runlevel 3 delivers
you to).

See the "Invocation" section of the bash manpage for details of the
dotfile execution order.

> saves me the effort, seeing as I walk out of the room for a moment, and
> my little boy is slapping my keyboard with the hopes of it making a
> noise!

Cheers, Ben
--
.O.    Ben Stringer