Startup Configuration Cron Job [maybe?] and Ascii Art?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jan 19 13:07:37 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 19.01.2004 schrieb John Sampson um 13:44:
> Hi there all.
>
> Many thinks for those who helped with the Kyro issue, machine now boots
> to CLI and I start X from there!
>
> A thought has come to mind though.
>
> As i have edited /etc/innittab/ to make 3 the default run level, is it
> possible to then have a command run on login to a CLI - ie startx - just
> saves me the effort, seeing as I walk out of the room for a moment, and
> my little boy is slapping my keyboard with the hopes of it making a
> noise!
>
> The other question - how on EARTH can I create an Asci Art logon screen
> ala MDK - not a Penguin, just something for the people who telnet into
> my machine for one reason and another.

Do NOT use telnet! Use SSH instead. There are Windows[tm] SSH clients as
well, if your friends have no Linux. Putty or the client by ssh.com are
easy to use.

To set a greeting banner - which may contain in ASCII whatever you like
- edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and activate line

Banner /etc/issue.sshd

Then create this file /etc/issue.sshd with an editor and put in what you
desire.

> Many Thanks
> John Sampson

Alexander