FC1 on the enterprise?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Jan 19 14:28:16 UTC 2004

At 04:51 1/19/2004, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 16:49, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > And finally, have you considered that Red Hat could cease providing public
> > SRPMS or even public source for RHEL at any time [...]
>
>*cof* For most software in RHEL I don't think they could really do that
>legally (GPL and Lesser GPL software)

Read the GPL, Rui. Red Hat is ONLY required to provide the source to those
people to whom they provide binaries. That means they would be acting
legally by only offering source to RHEL subscriptors. And if they did
choose to create publicly-available source code, they could also just
release a whole bunch of tarballs and leave others to struggle with
creating SRPMS and RPMS.

Note that Red Hat has repeatedly suggested (as Jason mentioned) that they
will continue to provide SRPMS via anonymous FTP. But you should
acknowledge that they do so out of generosity, not obligation. Thank them
and don't take it for granted... all human beings tend to become grumpy if
unappreciated.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com