Enterprise Linux Server

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Jan 19 14:45:49 UTC 2004

At 08:24 1/19/2004, you wrote:
>I read that Fedora is more of a development version of Linux and is not
>stable enough to run as an enterprise server.

Define "enterprise". I am already running three Fedora servers at work, and
for those applications they are fine. However, there are two other servers
at work with much more demanding requirements as far as long-term
stability, support, and updates, and those I will move to RHEL Edge Server
(ES). Fedora has been rock-stable for me so far IN MY SITUATION. What's yours?

>If this is true, does anyone have any suggestions for a good stable
>version of Linux that would be appropriate for an enterprise server?  I
>have read a couple people mention
><http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/>www.whiteboxlinux.org does anyone have any
>experience with this?  Were would I be able to go for support, I did not
>see any mailing lists with it.

Please, please read this list's archives for material on White Box Linux.
There have been several hundred messages about it in the last two or three
days. You can reach the list archives from the page linked at the bottom of
every mail posted to the list.

>What are other people using?  I don't want to pay thousands of dollars for
>RHEL, but I want something that would be stable enough for the enterprise
>environment.  I would really appreciate any suggestions.

RHEL Edge Server (RHEL-ES) is $350/year, and right now I believe you can
get two years for the price of one (there was such a promotion, but I don't
know for sure if it's still valid or has been discontinued). This is /not/
thousands of dollars. If, however, you have need of such a powerful server
that you are considering Red Hat Advanced Server, then your server is so
important that (IMHO) you should /know/ exactly what you need and be
willing to pay someone something for it.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com