kernel-module-nvidia-driver for kernel-2.2.22-1.2149.nptl?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Jan 19 16:46:49 UTC 2004

bdunne wrote:

>>I have one final question... will it always be necessary to upadate the
>>kernel-module-nvidia-driver with each kernel update? Or will something
>>

>eventually
>

>>be put in place so that the driver from the previous kernel will work with
>>

>the
>

>>new one?
>>

>Yes, a feature called modversioning is being developed.  It allows the kernel
>module to check and see if all the kernel hooks it uses are compatible with
>what it expects, even if it is compiled for a different version of the kernel.
> Modversioning won't be a guarantee that a module compiled for kernel X with
>work with kernel Y, but it will make it a real possibility.
>
>Check out this article at LWN for more info:
>
>http://lwn.net/Articles/21393/

Wasn't SDL supposed to take care of binary drivers?

I have an nvidia card at home on RHL 9 and have had to back out to the 'nv'
driver. I built the newdriver, but when X starts the screan goes black and
the monitor goes to sleep, and the keyboard and mouse are locked up, but I
could still ssh into the machine, to change the XF86Config file, and reboot.

On a second note: Is alsa going to be standard in FC2, I hope so, the sound
card on my home machine is not supported by oss but is with alsa.

Guy