ATI Radeon Pro, X11, system lockup

Thomas Reed treed at lavergne.org
Mon Jan 19 20:09:14 UTC 2004

>> display: :0.0  screen: 0
>> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
>> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
>> OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
>>
>> -Don
>>

> There's a major problem - those mesa drivers need to go away.  Look
> over the thread at linuxquestions.org that I posted before and see if
> there are any of those steps you did not complete.  The full install
> step is not necessary, just something I did out of frustration.
> (http://linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116223).

Just struck me - of course you have the mesa drivers loaded, according
to you XFreeconfig, the radeon drivers are commented out, i assume to
relieve the lockup issue you were having.  Earlier I saw you had tried
to install the fire gl drivers and got the error about a conflict with
mesa, try to install the firegl drivers rpm with the --force option,
then run the fglrxconfig to create a new XFreeconfig file for you (or do
it manually)...that should help you get some meaningful information in
your XFree Error log if there is in fact still a problem.  For me with
the 9700 pro (only 2D support provided by fedora) things didn't really
start to click until after a kernel recompile with agpart and radeon as
loadable modules.  Unfortunately I have to work from memory here as the
box I did this on was for a friend and I don't have ready access to it.