ATI Radeon Pro, X11, system lockup

Thomas Reed treed at lavergne.org
Mon Jan 19 20:45:35 UTC 2004

Don Levey wrote:

>>>There's a major problem - those mesa drivers need to go away.  Look
>>>over the thread at linuxquestions.org that I posted before and see if
>>>there are any of those steps you did not complete.  The full install
>>>step is not necessary, just something I did out of frustration.
>>>(http://linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116223).
>>>

>>Just struck me - of course you have the mesa drivers loaded, according
>>to you XFreeconfig, the radeon drivers are commented out, i assume to
>>relieve the lockup issue you were having.  Earlier I saw you had tried
>>to install the fire gl drivers and got the error about a conflict with
>>mesa, try to install the firegl drivers rpm with the --force option,
>>then run the fglrxconfig to create a new XFreeconfig file for you (or
>>do it manually)...that should help you get some meaningful
>>information in your XFree Error log if there is in fact still a
>>problem.  For me with the 9700 pro (only 2D support provided by
>>fedora) things didn't really start to click until after a kernel
>>recompile with agpart and radeon as loadable modules.  Unfortunately
>>I have to work from memory here as the box I did this on was for a
>>friend and I don't have ready access to it.
>>

>I'm assuming that the "you" in your post is me, as I was having lockup
>problems.
>
>I don't recall trying to install firegl drivers; the XF86Config file I
>posted at the start has been superceded.  The file itself was either deleted
>or modified and saved as XF86Config-4.  I removed (rpm -e) the Mesa drivers;
>what's there now was installed by the ATI rpm itself.
>
>Considering the number of things I needed to do to get things working, I'd
>reluctant to recompile the kernel.  Perhaps I'll try it anyway, both the
>current stock version with the modules and a 2.6.1 version.  But it took me
>so long to get sound on this machine (whine)...
>
> -Don

Understood - It's unfortunate that ATI doesn't provide nearly the level
of support that Nvidia does to *nix users.  here's a great link for a
kernel compile, it's for redhat 8,9 but you should be able to adapt it
to FC1 without much trouble.
http://linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91503

Best of luck, I nearly pulled my hair out, but in the end the results
were well worth it.

Thomas