PCTel modem

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Jan 19 20:57:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> Hello people from the list:
>
> I have some issues with a onboard pctel modem - on a machine of a friend
> of mine - I removed winxp, put fedora, now modem is gone :-(
>
> Googling I found this site,
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/23/2003/11/3/118250
> which lead me to download latest pctel modem driver, trick make with
> export CC=gcc32, and compile it.
>
> Compilation is not sucessful. Tried in 2 machines, with 2 different
> 2.4.22 kernels.
>[error log deleted]
>
> In fact, I just downloaded the same version the guy in howto said, same
> trouble.
>
> I don't want to reverse this friend's machine to windows, can someone
> help me? Does someone have pctel driver compiled for fc1? Wouldn't this
> be a interesting RFE for FC2?

It'll never happen because the driver cores are proprietary binaries
(like the NVidia drivers).

I have reproduced the problem you saw, but I don't have much to add.  You
could try the SmartLink drivers at ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported.
I'm using slmodem-2.9.4, and it seems to work fine for me (better than
pctol-0.9.6 did).

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences