user quota's on multiple drives

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 19 23:57:07 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 19.01.2004 schrieb Simon Bell um 23:48:
>
>>My machine has 2 hard drives. Ive set up user quotas on both of them, but it
>>seems that i have to give each drive a separate quota amount. Is there any
>>way to make it a general system quota which would encompass both drives so I
>>could say give each user 200MB of quota across both drives?
>

> No, you set quotas per partition where quotas are enabled.

Actually they're per-filesystem.  In a classic UNIX environment, users
were not allowed to create files anywhere except their home directories
or in /tmp, so you only had to set up two quotas (and the /tmp one was
usually quite small).

In this case, however, a sequential LVM of the two filesystems in
question should work.
-   NEWS FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing!  Details at...   -
-     uh, when, uh, the little hand is, uh, on the...  Aw, NUTS!     -