ANOTHER Fedora upgrade tale of woe...

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Tue Jan 20 01:12:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:18:23 -0500
John Nelson <developer at computation.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I tried to upgrade RH 8 on another of my development machines and,
> while the upgrade claimed it was successful, the upgrade process
> royally messed up in setting up the modules for the kernel. The
> modules.info file is missing from /boot. Also the
> /lib/modules/e2.4.20-20.... directory that contains those modules.....
> wasn't even created so when Fedora boots up, I get a cascade of
> missing modules errors.
>
> I have no idea why the modules files are missing, but more importantly
>
> how can I fix this problem? Reinstalling from the distribution CD just
>
> skips over everything and doesn't fix the problem. I imagine I'll have
>
> to patch all of this by hand but don't really know where to start....
> any ideas?

Hi John,

No idea why FC install would mess things up. In order to fix it I would
try either:

1. install kernel RPMs with up2date (or apt-get, yum etc.)
2. install kernel source and compile/install

option #2 is slightly more complex if you're not used to compiling
kernel by hand, so you should really try option #1 first.

HTH

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa