Booting

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 02:04:19 UTC 2004

Yves Beeken wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have installed Fedora on a new partition hd1/0, everything seems ok,
>Windows boots fine. I also want to boot my "old" RH9 but it won't. Here
>is my /etc/grub.conf:
>
>#boot=/dev/hda
>default=0
>timeout=10
>splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2149.nptl)
>	root (hd1,0)
>	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi
>rhgb
>	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl.img
>title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2140.nptl)
>	root (hd1,0)
>	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2140.nptl ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi
>rhgb
>	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2140.nptl.img
>title DOS
>	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>	chainloader +1
>title Red Hat 9
>	rootnoverify (hd1,2)
>	chainloader +1

I've done something similar using three dfferent versions of Fedora. If
I understand your setup for RH9, you have the RH9 installation with a
boot partition located on /dev/hdb3. If this is correct, you then need
to boot up the RH9 installation from your boot floppy or first CD in
rescue mode.

Once you are in RH9, run grub-install /dev/hdb3 - (Assuming your boot
partition is on hdb3)

If by chance you only have a boot partition located on (hd1,0) - also
known as /dev/hdb1 - the best thing to do is to forget the chainloader
aproach and just copy the Fedora Core entry, rename the entry to Redhat
9 and change the reference in the LABEL= entry from LABEL=/1 to LABEL=/
and your RH9 might boot up, though crippled with an nptl kernel
installation.

If you wanted to install the RH9 latest kernel before you loaded off
your RH9 installation, you could download and install the latest kernel.
To install the older kernel into your Fedora Core setup, you would have
to run *rpm -i kernel-rh9-latest --oldpackage*  to get this installed.

good luck,

Jim

PS - This is only a suggestion.

--
Tomorrow, this will be part of the unchangeable past but fortunately,
it can still be changed today.