how much disk space do i need for FC1?

leam leam at reuel.net
Tue Jan 20 10:14:44 UTC 2004

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> Trying to get to work kpackage (no luck!) i realized that on my system
> FC1 is really *huge*.
>
> [ian at brunettie ian]$ df -h
> /dev/hda3             2.3G  1.6G  626M  72% /
> none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda7             6.4G  4.2G  1.9G  69% /usr
>

> Isn't it a bit too much 1.6 GB on root and 4.2 Gb on /usr? This is a
> desktop install, nothing special. Is it supposed to be so large?
>
> I really don't get it. Maybe i did something wrong at install time,
> however i could uninstall some useless (to me) packages with synaptic,
> and really made no difference (freed 64 megs 'only').
>
> E.

That's sounds about right if you install everything. A minimal install
is ~500 M. Since you have no /var your logs and packages are kept in /.
So might your MySQL data and a bunch of other things. /usr/is big
because that's where most everything goes anyway.

Look for duplication of packages and eliminate the ones you don't need.
For example, if you use vi, delete all the emacs stuff. Whicher browser
you use, delete the others. If you're not using a database package,
delete them.

ciao!

leam