how to configure procmail? I need step by step guidance.

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 20 11:40:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:04:30AM -0500, Technical wrote:

> I read the guide.  I tried to follow the suggestions from www.procmail.org
> and and it is not working.  I just want to setup procmail.
>
> I need step by step guidance:
>
> Where should the .forward file be and what should it contain?
> where should the .promailrc file be and what should it contain?

Try just having a .procmail file and no .forward.
Depending on how you have mail setup... one default setup
can include procmail as the local delivery agent.  Thus
you only need to have a ~/.procmailrc file.

Procmail is sort of a magical easy tool.
If you do not know how it is magic.
If you know how, it is easy.

So setup a dummy user with a mail account on your
system and send it messages.  This way you can abuse procmail for
the dummy account and nor risk the loss of mail on your account.

Tell us more on how you are getting mail onto your system.  If
you are running a client that is IMAP/POP aware I expect mail
does not get delivered locally.  It is simply slurped up by the
client and procmail may not see it.  Fetchmail on the other hand
can slurp up mail and deliver it locally.  Now procmail will see
the messages to process them.

Regards,
mitch

--