Trying to kill a process that just won't die...

Dave Goldblatt daveg at psyton.com
Tue Jan 20 13:07:31 UTC 2004

Gregory Gulik wrote:

> F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR    SZ WCHAN  TTY          TIME CMD
> 1 D     0 11952     1  0  80   2    -  1341 wait_o ?        00:00:00 gtar

That's what I suspected - the app is in an I/O wait (technically,
"uninterruptible sleep").  Usually this is due to an NFS hang, although
it can be caused by other media which has wedged but not timed out.  One
trick which sometimes works is to unmount the mount point it's stuck
on.. if that doesn't work you're pretty much stuck.

You can try to force an unmount of a non-responsive NFS server by using
the -f option for umount (and optionally add the -l option).

-dg-