pb with police (ISO8859-15)

Johannes Baagoe baagoe at baagoe.com
Tue Jan 20 14:43:02 UTC 2004

Leonard den Ottolander <leonard at den.ottolander.nl> wrote:

> You can change global settings by editing /etc/sysconfig/i18n. Replace
> UTF-8 with ISO-8859-15. If you have no need for other than Western
> characters this will do. I was thinking about doing this myself,
> because this UTF-8 encoding only makes my system slower, and I don't
> use other characters than Western anywhere.

Actually, for French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Scandinavian,
Icelandic, etc, users who do not have an additional need for more exotic
languages, this may well be the best thing to do. It immediately solves
a lot of annoying problems that have come up with the recent default
choice of UTF-8, like less not displaying ISO Latin 1 or Latin 9 files -
including man files - properly, xemacs refusing dead keys for circumflex
or umlaut, etc.

Maybe it should even be an option, if not the default option, when
installing Fedora. And a better support for character encoding options
would certainly be welcome - Main Menu -> System Settings -> Language or
-> Keybord, which are the places a naive user may be expected to look,
provide nothing of the kind. I fully expect that the information is
available somewhere in the depths of the documentation, but most users
are more interested in working *with* their system than *on* it. I had
been looking for months, on and off, for the proper way to change the
default locale until I read you message - thanks a lot!

--
Johannes