Hot Swap Disks

Travis Riddle triddle at apfc.com
Tue Jan 20 16:18:53 UTC 2004

I would be careful with hot swapping IDE drives.  the -L option is really only for locking the door mechanism on removable storage devices (Zip, Jazz, etc).  The option you probably want is the -R and/or -U, however right in the man page for hdparm it says it is VERY DANGEROUS and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Simply cutting the power to the drive through the caddy will probably hang your system unless your hardware is specifically designed for such action.  As well as hardware, your software will also need to expect this action or you will get erratic behavior at best.

At any rate, in my experience hot swapping ANY drive (SCSI, FC, or IDE) is a last resort, even if the manufacturer rates the array as hot swappable compliant.

Travis