RHEL WS?

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Jan 20 21:11:32 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:
> I have just been looking at the RHEL versions and the WS basic version
> is not too badly priced, especially for us as a startup, but we would
> want to use it for our servers.. :)
>
> Is anyone familiar with this product?? Can it be used for web/email
> servers or is it restricted in some way?

Have you read their "which to choose" pages at:
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/comparison/

WS is, of course, short for 'Workstation', and is supposed to be for
desktop systems.

ES (enterprise server) is geared towards small departmental servers like
you describe.

The biggest differences according to the chart referenced above appear
to be:

* ES includes amanda-server, arptables_jf, bind, caching-nameserver,
dhcp, freeradius, inews, inn, krb5-server, netdump-server,
openldap-servers, pxe, quagga, radvd, rarpd, redhat-config-bind,
redhat-config-netboot, tftp-server, tux, vsftpd, ypserv, while WS does
not. (both have apache).
* ES has no 'premium edition'
* ES does not support 64-bit systems or >8GB of memory on x86

Their footnote for the first difference says:
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux products are based on the same core kernel,
libraries and utilities, and also share the same major package sets.
However, because Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS is not designed for use in
server environments, there are some differences between family members
in terms of their server package sets."