What's the difference?

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Jan 21 08:11:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:56:45 -0500, chris clarke wrote:

> 	Sorry to bug you with what I'm sure is a newbie question but what is
> the difference between these two files?
>
> lame-3.93.1-0.fdr.8.0.94

Provided that you really downloaded that package from fedora.us or one of
its mirror servers, the ".fdr" indicates, it's the "LAME" mp3 codec
software version 3.93.1 in fedora.us package release 8 built for Fedora
Core release 0.94 (Test 2).

> lame-3.93.1-0.lvn.8.1

This is the same software from http://rpm.livna.org (or a mirror)
built for Fedora Core 1.

Fedora.us no longer provides packages with patenting or licencing issues,
so installing the one from rpm.livna.org is the right way to go.